3 DAY WORKSHOP
Collaborative Software Design
How to facilitate domain modelling decisions
Having difficulty collaborating with stakeholders and grasping the nuanced context of your software system? Explore the realm of collaborative software design to enhance stakeholder participation, make informed software design choices, and bolster team collaboration. Let’s revolutionise how you design and develop software.
This workshop is designed for anyone who is involved in creating and maintaining software:
- Software Developers & Engineers
- Software, Solution & Enterprise Architects
- Product Managers & Owners
- Business Analysts & Quality assurance roles
- Engineering managers & Scrum Masters
- Anyone interested in learning how to facilitate better decisions to improve their software design process.
Evelyn van kelle
In our intensive 3-day workshop, we aim to equip you with the expertise to tackle intricate design and architectural choices through collaborative modelling.
Effective communication with stakeholders and within teams can be fraught with misunderstandings and conflicts. These barriers can impede knowledge transfer, stir resistance behaviours ranging from snarky sarcastic comments to total communication breakdowns, and result in software designs that miss the mark.
To address these challenges, we’ll immerse you in collaborative modelling techniques that enhance cooperation between developers and stakeholders. You’ll gain insights into managing social dynamics like ranking, cognitive biases, and conflicts. Our focus is on guiding you to make robust design decisions with the collective intelligence and backing of the group.
By the end of this workshop, you’ll have a toolkit of strategies, techniques, and tools to ensure everyone feels involved in the decision-making process, leading to the design and creation of sustainable, quality software products.
What you will learn
- Foundations of Collaborative Modelling: Gain an introduction to collaborative modelling as a powerful visualization technique for analyzing complex decisions and fostering shared understanding.
- Hands-On Application: Engage in a balanced mix of theory and real-world examples, applying various collaborative modelling tools like Big Picture Eventstorming, Example Mapping, Context Mapping and Wardley Mapping.
- Facilitation Mastery: Learn to prepare and facilitate collaborative modelling meetings, and understand the foundational skills needed to tackle the social dynamics of these sessions.
- Decision-Making Proficiency: Discover how to structure, visualise, and make sustainable software design decisions while managing conflicts using different visualisation tools.
- Navigating Resistance: Acquire techniques to handle resistance, gather comprehensive insights from groups, be aware of biases during meetings, and ensure continued involvement post-meeting.
- Documentation & Reporting: Get to know the many ways of following-up, and document the outcomes of collaborative modelling sessions.
- Problem-Solving Techniques: Understand the difference between a problem and a polarity and leverage polarity mapping for improved decision-making.
To maximise your experience in this workshop, having done collaborative modelling before is useful.
For those eager to advance their preparation, you can prepare by starting by reading our book on Collaborative Software design. Before the workshop we will provide you with some introduction material on what collaborative modelling is.
Our workshop is highly interactive, designed to engage you in hands-on learning experiences. When conducted online, we utilise Miro, a versatile digital whiteboard tool, for our collaborative exercises. If you’re unfamiliar with Miro, we encourage you to take advantage of the self-paced participant onboarding course available at Miro Academy: Miro Participant Onboarding Course. This short course will equip you with the navigational knowledge needed to fully participate in our interactive sessions.